Wednesday, July 2, 2008

sushi before bed



I'm going to go ahead and admit I've eaten Sushi twice in the past 24 hours. I don't want to say I'm "entitled" to it because I won't be able to eat it for two months, but I have just been craving it like crazy, and I know a great sushi place you can get it on the fly.  The "Vegas" roll at EastWinds Sushi is simply legit. Today I actually ate it with Mike (blog), who came up to hang out and give me a break from the insanity of my packing and everything. It was awesome. We listened to The Killers (I admit, I'm on a kick) and the new Coldplay (both really, really good) and talked about Uganda. Mike used to work for Invisible Children in San Diego, which is how I know him, so he's got a huge heart for Uganda as well. He actually came to the awesome party we had at Abby's on Saturday, where there was people from Liberia, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Congo, Sudan, and even a couple, though few, Americans! Mike said "Dude, I love the friends you and Abby have! It makes me miss Africa." I know what he means... they were so great, just having so much community and laughter, the party didn't end until 1 AM, which is much later than we'd anticipated... but it was awesome... lots of laughter and interesting stories... Anyways... 

Today I finished my last class. I'm not going to miss the "intro to the exceptional learner class", but I really enjoyed my Speech class. I've mentioned it a number of times in my blog and I will miss how spiritually enlightening it was. And I don't mean that in a metaphysical, but a literal, we-are-all-created-in-the-image-of-the-invisible kind of way. I learned much about the human condition in that class and about people's hunger for God... it was evident in almost every speech. It was encouraging, especially with all these fears about the "new atheism", it was peace-inducing to know that God can't be kept out of people's lives, even when we, as a society seem hell-bent on trying our hardest... I mean "God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1), so as C.S. Lewis said "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." 

Leaving ("in a jet plane") in 13 hours. Just wanted to slow it down and let the caffeine get in the bloodstream... no sleep tonight...

Love you all. You'll hear from me next as I spend the 4th of July in, what better place(?), the Middle East! 

Dan

No comments: