Friday, July 4, 2008

Post 1: Dubai

It is 1:35 AM in Dubai, U.A.E. and I spent my 4th of July flying over the US, Canada, France, most of middle Europe, Turkey, and best yet, IRAN. Iran was beautiful, and it was awesome to see a country most people never see. It was a great flight from Houston to Dubai!

It has been a long time since I've been to this wonderful place, but the people are even more friendlier than I'd remembered! Our time in Dubai has been splendid, although our grand plans to go out on the town have been thwarted by collective tiredness. Not so much me, but you can't do much alone here... it's safe, but still not wise. It's good to get back and collect my thoughts here at the "Dream Palace" Hotel near Dubai Airport (where i got to hear my first call to prayer in a while...). The 14 hour flight from Houston was quite enjoyable and I spent the entire time next to really cool girl from Pakistan heading back to where he family is from, Karachi. She was a Muslim and we had a cool discussion about getting ink (tattoos) done of scriptures from our Holy Books, mine being the bible, and hers being the Q'aran. She said she would get Henna done when she was back in Pakistan. Anyways, the flight was good, already there have been small hiccups but the Lord is with our team, even though, as aforementioned, we've only been growing in weakness.

I've been anxious a little today however. I'm trying to focus on what I'm to be doing so soon, but i don't feel prepared, nor do I feel that my heart is exactly where it should be. I'm afraid of interpersonal relationships and issues getting in the way of things. At one point tonight i just had to put my head down and just say "God, I need your strength". I've already gotten, not annoyed, but apprehensive. I guess I'm just used to being on my own. I don't mind being in a leadership position, which i kinda am here, but I'm a lot more independent than some people think. At any rate, it isn't about me, and I am excited to see what God is going to do in the Congo through this team. I'm even more excited to spend a decent while in Uganda. We've got some great interns (Coreen, Hannah, & Sarah) and it will be great to see them love on the boys of African Hearts. The work in my heart is one of love too, and it is asymmetrical loving, if you will, in that I need to rest much more in Christ's love of me, so that I may know love of others and give love to others. Satan has been working overtime to get me down and steal my joy, but I hope in Christ that it won't happen. Pray for me and the team.

well, i should be going, but i thought I'd leave you with a little reminder of home, the good ole' American Starbucks, in the Middle East.




Love ya!

dan

1 comment:

jessica said...

... i thought mike didn't like sushi? hahaha. oh well. i guess i still have a lot to learn.

good luck in africa friend! i'll be praying for you!