Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Congo Photo series 4









Here are some photos from when I spoke to the soldiers on Integrity as a soldier and prevention of violence towards women. This group of officers and chaplains was a mix-match of Congolese soldiers, some of which were former rebels. It was daunting to stare in the faces of men who knew much more about war than I did. Deep within the "rape capital of the world", in a stick tent, I was given the opportunity to speak with the Governor of Kivu's assistant, Valare, about sexual violence towards women. It was incredible. I felt the prayers of the multitudes that day, and each word I uttered to these men I count as a gift from God. Never have I felt so exactly where I should be. There was no need to accuse the men so I just showed them using truth and scripture that it's our job to defend women and children, not rape them, not hurt them. With power comes responsibility....The men took it well and responded with words of affirmation that they will take this issue and discuss it with their men. After Valare, the assistant/counsel to the Governor, gave a sermon, somewhat about what I had spoken about, we were dismissed. An older man, a chaplain of some kind came up to me and said very slowly and deliberately, in broken English, "I. love. youu". It was beautiful and powerful. Thank you for your prayers....

No comments: