Tuesday, July 1, 2008

David & Goliath

David:

I had one of the most pleasant and uplifting conversations of my recent life today with my friend David C concerning our individual journeys. If you've ever met David you would understand why engaging in such a conversation would be so fulfilling. At this moment in time he is in Pennsylvania just living life, and this is but one step of many that he's taken since he set out to wrestle the world and dig deeper than he ever has before. To question what hadn't been questioned. To rest where rest hadn't been found. It is always my distinct pleasure to hear his insights and to partake, in a small way, in his adventures and experiences. I've gleaned much wisdom even thus far just from his profound insight. It is notable to mention how interesting it is to speak to someone and know he genuinely cares about you when he talks to you... All my friends care about me more than I could wish for, I do not doubt that one bit, and I hope I show them all an equal or greater amount of friendship and commitment in return, but David, by his very nature, engages you and draws out of you the deeper parts of the soul. Today he spoke well of me, which was an honor, and one i hope to repay in the future, but he offered me great advice concerning my time in Africa, advice that was apt in so many ways. He said "Dan, you're on of the most intelligent people I know, and sometimes you can get ahead of yourself... which is something I find myself doing as well, but when you're in the Congo and you're helping to lead a team in real ministry and talking with people, slow down... take the time to say what you say simply and well, and in situations where there is issues, speak slower than them, and speak quieter as well. I think it would prove to be beneficial to you." Mind you David is much more eloquent than that, and i am paraphrasing, but his advice was just what I needed. His confidence in me, as a friend I think very highly of, and one who understands me so well for our brief friendship, was very timely and I will carry that advice into my time, my speeches, and even my manuscripts (lol)! So David, if you happen to read this thing, Thanks! 

Goliath:

Have you ever just drove by a Hometown Buffet and just thought to yourself "I'm going to eat there."? That's what I did today. Now, this is not normal for me, because unless I'm out with kyle or chris, the BBQ kings, I eat pretty healthily. But today it was calling me in, the siren song of unlimited food, of the Goliath of an American celebration of excess, one last shot at getting fat before Africa, drew me in. I met Goliath.... I had nothing but two plates of food (I used to do 5 or 6) to show for myself, and it was by far the worst Hometown Buffet I've ever been to, but it was quite the experience. I mean, spectrum mall: the Htown Buffett was in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Oh yeah.  I people watched as I read "The Macho Paradox", which is, by the way, one of the best books I've ever read. I saw a dude with a mohawk listening to a discman and hitting stop signs with his hands because he thought it was cool. That's right folks, a CD player. I saw the requisite (for the area) homeless and mentally ill, but it felt strangely familiar, as I never want to be too far away from the real world (but somehow self-servingly detached enough? Hmmm). The parking lot had a plethora of American vehicles, which is a good sign you're deep in something. What, no Prius'? (is there a plural for Prius yet? Prii [pree-I]?)And the guy in the lifted F-150 about ran me over but his 75 cent stickers said many intelligent things like "get in. sit down. shut up. hold on." and other pithy comments about people in general. In the restaurant here was an adorable little girl running around too, even the Htown had enough hispanic people in it to give it a blessed air of community as the little girl drew everyone unto herself that we might have an excuse to share in her delightful antics together. It was a blessing actually. What was not a blessing however was the food. Man... call me a hippy, but I love my organic food... this deep fried stuff ain't happenin' for me. I'm leaving this country in like 70 hours but I'll never forget where I'm coming from with this 10 pounds of grease and "fast-food-nation-guilt" in my stomach....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ps. great blog. love the part about the "call me a hippie"... ha! i LOVE organic food. minus the peanut butter. you just can't live without "the real stuff" ;)

ps2. fix my blog link! if you can, try not to put my name on the link-name!