Thursday, August 7, 2008

Urgent Message (please read)

I am writing you about an urgent issue with the Congolese refugees here in Uganda. Interaid, the agency UNHCR has turned them over too, is telling them that they can no longer stay at the tent outside the agency. They have soldiers too that are sure to be able to enforce such measures. Mind you, Interaid doesn't really take care of them even a little bit, but it's the one place they can sleep at night and eat whatever God provides. It's been their home for over 6 months. The Somalis are in a different position, and for some reason, probably because of their numbers, are treated with some respect and reverence. These twenty-five Congolese are in no such luck. They are treated with contempt at best. One of the Congolese men was stabbed by a thief a while back, and he went to the police here and they told him to come back next month. When my parents had a purse stolen they gave us our own detective, this is the disparity in treatment. Tonight Interaid will decide what to do with the 25 unwanted Congolese. They have already stated their intent to take them to the camps in western Uganda where they spent a half-decade. Serge, and a couple of others, simply cannot return there.

Serge, whose story, now that I've heard it, is insane. He's the sole survivor of his family, a former child soldier wounded in action, and a slew of other things. He has nothing. No one is looking out for him, and because he reported the group of 5 people who murdered his family, and started a genocide, placing one of the people in jail, the other 4 are looking for him. At the camps in western Uganda there are photos of serge that these men have put up so they can find him and kill him. They've already tried; it is only by the grace of God that he is alive. Serge will not go back there, but he cannot stay. He's technically already living on the streets, along with these other Congolese, which are 3 families and a number of single people. They aren't fed, and have no rights. Even the Refugee Law Project can't plead their case because they don't have the power and because UNHCR simply doesn't care about their concerns. We all know the UN is mostly worthless and a sinkhole for money, but they are the channel we have to rely on here. I am going to speak with the director there and plead their case and make sure they know that they can't take this case lightly and that if they make a bad decision they will not hear the end of it. I, and many others, are fed up with their aversion to responsibility for these people and my sole consolation is that God will punish their wickedness. The Office of the Prime Minister refuses to hear their case, and I have with me a copy of their letter to him, pleading their unique situation, that he has constantly ignored. As of right now we at African Hearts are going to talk to churches and see if they can help in any ways, but because all of Uganda is impoverished, they have less incentive to care, and there is an underlying distrust in this society for Congolese. But these people are amazing, and they are women (most of whom have been raped), children (malnourished), and men (a number of pastors) who all love Jesus and trust Him with their circumstances although these times lately have been trying on them. I don't really know what to do.

My plan right now, is to talk to whoever will listen, and, along with the staff here at African Hearts, minister and provide for them as best we can. Tonight we're having a huge meal that Jess and I are preparing, and there we will offer them some encouragement and a little Word from the Bible. But while these measures are good, we need lasting change. We need a place to stay. They need food in a land where food is plentiful. They need a defender. They need a miracle. My plan of action after I return from Kenya (assuming something can be worked out for these people for a couple of days) is to take Serge to the US Embassy to plead his case. I have known many refugees since living in the western US, and his story and case trumps most of what I've ever heard or known. I want him to get political asylum in the United States. I met with the director of the Refugee law project a couple of days ago, a guy from England, and he said the quota for the US in refugees is 70,000 a year. They take around 40,000. It's actually UNHCR's fault for not getting people through, which isn't surprising. That means 30,000 people can go. Serge should be one of those people. He can't go back and he can't stay here. The problem of going to the US Embassy is that we may have to get an appointment and this and that, and then I'll get looked at like a soft-hearted person who wants their country to provide for their new friend. No, I want more than that. I want my country to defend this man in a place that will not. He's an incredible man, a man who would make America better, and help his friends here in the process. What I want now is for someone to talk to the US Embassy in Kampala and put in a good word for us when we come. I want a US Senator to have told them "Listen to this guy and his Congolese friend." Serge is currently trying to get all the file information he can get on himself and if he can get that, we're going to plead for asylum in the United States. This is where you all come in. I need people to be looking for a way to help Serge. He will need sponsors, an agency to help, and people like us in the US to vouch for him and possible front some money. He and I need the backing of people in the US so we can do this thing. We need prayer. We need this to be on the forefront of people's minds and hearts. I don't have that many ideas, but I'm the guy here trying to get this thing happening. I've been subtle till now, but now I'm asking for your prayers, letters, calls to your senator (Kyl), and financial support if possible. I will give you more information later, as I find new people to impress upon the weight of this situation, and more updates as I know more. I know people hate my verbose and lengthy emails, but thanks for reading this one and please pray before moving from your seat about what YOU should/can do. Thank you for reading this and please email me back ASAP about ideas, suggestions, etc. It's hard being here in the land of slow Internet and the inability to call people. Thanks again.

1 comment:

Ed Waken said...

Dan,
See and respond to my e-mail that sent you this morning! edwaken@cox.net