Wednesday, November 5, 2008

dreams

Tonight my country elected the first black man to the office of President of the United States, the single most powerful position on the planet. For that I am proud. I am under no delusions that the sin of racism is dead, but it is yet another sign that we're moving in the right direction. I don't have to support the candidate himself (or the one who lost) to admit just how historic and beautiful the election of a non-white person to the highest office of the land is. I believe that in my lifetime I will see the first woman president too. The world is changing, and God is still in control, and I feel blessed to live in this time, even amidst the horrifying injustice that exists all over this world. I, and everyone reading this, was born in this era for a reason. May we make the best of it and be the change we want to see in the world.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This is truly beautiful.
Politics aside, I feel honored & blessed to live in an era that so many who have gone before me have fought for. It brought tears to my eyes to watch tonight.