Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Enjoy Such Liberty

Just reading my journal entries tonight from Malawi, it seems like yesterday when I was there, beneath some of the most beautiful stars that a man could ever gaze upon. The entries take me back there as I try to recall certain people, certain occurrences. Never in my life has God's masterful hand had such an impact in my life... even till' this day it can be seen in the most subtle of reminders whether it be accidentally calling something by its Chichewa name or a memory of walking through the small thatched villages at dusk or even the song that I sang with Chris, Funa, and Z at the Msilitza church on our last night there... "Lord my heart cries out, glory to the king my greatest love in life, I hand you everything...." 

It's still so true. 

I wrote this poem in my journal too as I headed across the Zambian countryside. I didn't write it of course, it's by Richard Lovelace the English poet, and it was written in the 1600's sometime, but when i read it, it felt so real, so applicable. I still treasure it to this day. It's the last 'stanza', if you will, of the poem "To Althea, from prison" and it says....

Stone walls do not a prison make,
nor iron bars a cage;
minds innocent and quiet take
that for a hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
and in my soul am free,
angels alone that soar above,
enjoy such liberty



No comments: